A good time to be a girl



As it’s nearly international women’s day it’s only apt that we celebrate some amazing women...and what a time it is to be a girl! A time when we are standing up for issues that concern us.

When we come together with one vision we are a force of nature...passionate and competent...so I celebrate all the women I know today. There’s something in each one that I aspire to be. But there’s only enough time for a few for now...here are some women who inspire me.

Mama! - I would have to start with my Mama (I’m biased)



It’s amazing how much better you get your mum when you’re older lol. This lady is the most selfless lady I know. A stay at home Mum for the most part, highly intelligent and can make you laugh till your ribs hurt at/in the most difficult of situations. You even wonder how you can see the funny side of it. She skillfully handles multiple children keeping them entertained while getting the laundry and cooking done effortlessly. #goals. She’s also an entrepreneur. She is my first example of a working Mum because as some of you may relate “working from home” is often the hardest kind of work. So here’s to all our mummies, those with us and those with wings.

Helena Morrissey



This woman right here is the definition of Superwoman. To have nine children (all singletons) and manage to have as successful a career as hers, while campaigning for more women to be on company boards, is no mean feat. I should add that she makes breakfast each day and has a sit down meal with the family each day #veryimportanttriva.

She’s the head of an Investment firm which manages more than £1trillion of funds. She is something of a celebrity in the insurance industry and the UK corporate world in general. She established the 30% Club to campaign for greater female representation on company boards and is a massive advocate of flexible working for women. I love that she is not a feminist in the standard definition of the word and does not believe women should be like men in the workplace to make it - she’s all for taking time away to look after children etc without it jeopardising careers. She’s also written a book called “a good time to be a girl” which is about being unique and unusual (which she is - I don’t know many 9 children female execs) and how that is a good thing. And how it is what takes us far in the workplace - being who you are and your unusualness is what helps you achieve. I’m inspired by her (minus the nearly football squad of children). She makes me believe it is possible to successfully have both career and family and strike a good balance. I hope to interview her one day on this blog for some pointers.

So I’m trying to think of someone else in the public eye to write about. But I keep coming back to women in everyday life - grandmas, aunties etc. And I’m sure I’m not unique in this. So please share with us in the comments section which women inspire you - mums, grandmas, friends, celebrities etc. Maybe we can all take some inspiration from them!












Comments

Popular Posts