About hair....but not about hair




So...I've been interviewing for the last couple of months or so - my baby Dede just turned 3 and my tiny newborn Ami is 7 months old now - where did the time go?!  Aside from the guilt of not staying home until they graduate from university and the guilt of being a tiny bit excited about going back to work (posts for another day??), the interview process hasn't been too onerous.  Anyway I digress.

I have been dipping in and out of wearing my hair natural over the last 10 years or so.  Last year I did the big chop and now wear my hair short and natural.  You may have guessed by now that I'm a BWWAH (black woman with Afro hair).  Over the last 2 months I have found it absolutely necessary to change my hairstyle for interviews as of course natural hair does not come across as very PROFESSIONAL.  Because you just don't know what types of unconscious biases people out there have.  Because I may not give the right vibes with my hair in its most natural state.  How can I come across as intelligent and competent.  Yes - these are all thoughts that I had to admit to myself that I was thinking.


Anyway fast forward to last week...I got an interview request at very short notice and didn't have time to change my hairstyle.  Well I got the job with my NAH (natural Afro hair). It got me thinking...do I project these opinions on myself?  Is it really about hair?  Should I really care about how an Afro in the workplace is viewed by some?  Are black women unconsciously taught not to like our hair?  After all Michelle Obama was photographed wearing her hair au naturel AFTER leaving the White House.  

Perhaps we can have more confidence wearing our hair however we choose, and not project negative views of our hair on ourselves.  Perhaps we can spread more positive images of hair to the younger generation and it may become their norm.  And not let hair define us.  And be proud of our crown.  And let our other attributes speak for us - our generosity, our love for others, our spirituality, our competence, our genuineness and whatever it is that make us tick and be unique.  And feel free to wear our "natural" hair, or shall I say whatever feels natural to us.  Be it your 16 inch weave, wearing your hair in its natural colour, or for me, wearing my natural tresses.  The style that makes us feel most empowered.  Perhaps it doesn't matter how we wear our hair and it doesn't define us. 




Comments

  1. Love this peice, so much to think about and provides food to chew on - excellent for discussion points! Am I really not my hair?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this. I too had the same thoughts when I first transitiomed to natural hair 4 years ago. I went for an interview and wore my hair in a ''tamed afro'' and got the job. That still didnt help my confidence and so started my new job wearing full on 16 inch Brazilian weave, until I felt settled enough to show them the real me.

    Now I look back and cant believe I was that insecure. Sometimes in life you just have to bite the bullet and simple do you and love thy beauty in which ever form. #Iamnotmyhair

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting piece. I too did the big chop a few years ago and yet I am still not confident to wear my natural hair at the office.
    You have got me thinking about what is holding me back from showing off my natural tresses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hair is natural but I always have extensions or weave. I'm just not sure how to manage it natural, but would love to wear it natural some day, thanks for this post it's made me get that little bit closer to taking that step. #naturalhairrocks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing! I could talk about hair forever. I have always had quite long “healthy” relaxed hair until close to two years ago. I have learnt a lot about myself and my hair during this time and learnt that “transitioning” doesn’t end once you do the big chop. If you asked me a year ago if I would go to an interview with my natural hair I probably would have said no, heck no or even hell to the no. But now, today, the answer would be a massive yes! During my journey I tried weaves... briads... cornrows and wigs but I always feel more comfortable without them. As my friends after a week or so I am ready to “free myself”.

    I personally think the pressure is no longer being up on us... I believe it’s becoming more and more self inflicted. I have had more positive comments about my natural hair from non-black people than I have from my fellow black brothers and sisters.

    If in doubt slap on some heels and some red lipstick (maybe not for an interview!) and choose to shine :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. This made me laugh out loud. I couldn’t agree more. It’s just that big step...so daunting. But once it’s done it’s so freeing and you wonder what the fuss was all about.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts